Looking for a way to finance education beyond your high school degree or G.E.D.? Want to know what to do after you've received one of our scholarships? Looking for a way to help support the Foundation? Well, look no further! This place of frequently asked questions will hopefully address your curiosity. We would love feedback, especially if the question you have is not answered here. Let us know how we can help you!

What is the Holmes County Education Foundation (HCEF)?

The HCEF is a public charity located in Holmes County, Ohio. We provide scholarships to our residents wishing to further their education beyond high school. We also offer trade and career-focused classes for our Amish community, as well as Professional Development Grants to nonprofit or public service professionals wanting to enrich our community. Visit our "About HCEF" section of the website to learn more about the Foundation and its history.

Where can I look for financial aid?

Sometimes the search for money for school can be a frustrating ordeal. We first recommend a starting point- to know what you need, how much you need, and how you can go about fulfilling that need.

The HCEF has a scholarship program of its own. This program is for graduating high school seniors, as well as adults wanting to go back to school. Our applications are available starting the first week of January each year, and are due in mid-April of each year. (see current year's scholarship application to see specific deadline).  If our scholarship deadline has passed, you can always go to our Financial Aid section to search some of the links we have provided.

Tell me more about the scholarships- the requirements, who they are named after, etc.

The HCEF is a community-oriented Foundation. All of our scholarships have been created or named in honor or memory of a person or couple, which allows people to make a personal connection with the function of the Foundation. Check out the Scholarships section of our site to find out what scholarships are available, and who is eligible to receive an HCEF award.

Community Service Requirement FAQ

Tell me about the Community Service Requirement for scholarship recipients.

If you have received a scholarship from our Foundation for the first time, from 2003 to the present time, a scholarship recipient is required to fulfill a minimum requirement of 4 hours of community service each year to be eligible to reapply. Many have been asking us what kinds of projects are acceptable, and/or why the community service is required. We believe that, since the Foundation is already supported so well by the community, it is just one way that recipients can show their appreciation of Holmes County and give back to their community.

We prefer that recipients perform community service in the Holmes County area, but service on campus or within the workforce is accepted, only if it is on a volunteer basis.

Possible places to do community service include:

  • Holmes County Home needs volunteers.  They need students or adults to walk in local parades and help them hand out promotional items to those watching the parade.  Contact Pam in the Activities Department at 330-279-2801.
  • Harvest Thrift Stores is looking for volunteers.  Locations can be found at:
    - 1019 W. Main Street; Sugarcreek, OH 44681
    - 102 E. Main Street; Wilmot, OH 44689
    - 163 W. Front Street; Killbuck, OH 44637
    If you are interested in helping, call Debi at (330) 231-2671

  • The Glenmont Food Pantry needs volunteers to unload food products on the 2nd Monday of each month at 3:30 p.m., as well as volunteers to assist clients on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.  If you can volunteer, contact Joanna Lance at (330) 377-5025, (330) 763-1680, or jolance@embarqmail.com.

  • The Killbuck Community Library is in need of volunteers! If you can help, please call (330) 276-3741. The library's hours are Tuesday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Wednesday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.. On Wednesday and Friday, the shifts are from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., and 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Wednesday night.

       Other Community Service Options:

Other Suggestions:

Check the "Volunteers Needed" section of the local papers.
Do service for an organization that relates to your field of study and/or your intended career.



QUESTION: Can community service be accomplished at more than one place?

ANSWER: Yes, as long as you meet the 4-hour requirement, and have letters from all businesses/organizations, etc. in which you volunteered your time, you may do so.

QUESTION: I received a scholarship from the Foundation for the first time THIS year. Do I need to complete my 4 hours of community service in order to receive my scholarship FOR THE FIRST YEAR?

ANSWER: No. You need to complete the community service requirement in order to RENEW your scholarship.

QUESTION: I leave for college soon in the fall and will have little time to complete community service before the renewal deadline.  Am I able to complete my community service in advance?

ANSWER: Yes. Students are able to complete their community service for the next academic year during the summer months or anytime prior.

A letter containing the student's name, the number of hours served, the type of service rendered, signed by a representative of the organization, and on the organization's letterhead must be attached to the student's renewal application for the student's scholarship to be considered. Letters of completion will not be accepted after the deadline.

I want to give to the Holmes County Education Foundation. How can I do that?

You can visit our Gifting Opportunities section or Donate section, where you can now donate online! If you have any more questions about giving, feel free to contact the Holmes County Education Foundation at (330) 674-7303.

Renewal Applicants FAQ

When will my renewal application be sent to me?

For those whose scholarships are considered renewable, renewal applications will be sent in December via postal mail to your home (permanent) address, with a deadline of April 1 at 5:00 p.m.

Am I eligible to receive a renewal application?

If you have a graduation date beyond the present year and stated as such on a previous year's application, and if you have received less than four years of scholarship aid from the Foundation, there is a good possibility that you are eligible to reapply. To check on your status as a possible renewing recipient, contact the Foundation at (330) 674-7303, or via e-mail at info@hcef.net.

What if I do not receive my renewal application?

Contact the Foundation at (330) 674-7303, or via e-mail at info@hcef.net to notify Foundation staff.

Can I print my renewal application from the internet?

No. The renewal application, which is one page, cannot be printed from the website. The initial scholarship application, which is 6 printed pages, can be found on the website during application season, but is not the application for which to reapply. Renewal applications can only be sent to eligible recipients.

What are the community service requirements that the renewal application is asking for?

When you completed the initial HCEF Scholarship application, you signed a signature page stating that you would fulfill a community service requirement of a minimum of four hours.

114 North Clay Street Millersburg, OH 44654 (330) 674-7303 Fax: (330) 674-7313 e-mail: info@hcef.net

home | about us | news & publications | scholarship & grant seekers | donate | cary house | links | contact us