The Cary House is now home to the Holmes County Education Foundation.

Please read below to see how the Foundation acquired this beautiful 1906 building and adapted it for use!

In December of 2001, Richard and Virginia Cary donated their family's home to the Holmes County Education Foundation to be used as a permanent location for Foundation offices. Mr. & Mrs. Cary's strongest interest in properly preserving their family's historic home led the Holmes County Education Foundation Board of Trustees to seek out the services of a professional architect for the historical renovation project.

In March of 2002, the firm of Arthur Martin Architect was selected.

Mr. Martin has received professional awards for his preservation work and is an approved professional consultant for historic architecture by the Ohio Historical Preservation Office of the Ohio Historical Society. With completion of this comprehensive historic renovation of the interior and exterior, the Cary House is now the new home of the Holmes County Education Foundation and Holmes County College Access Program.

Pictured at right: Architect Arthur Martin and HCEF Director Darla Stitzlein in front of Cary House

Historic Preservation

The H.W. Cary House was built in 1906 and comprises 7,600 square feet. This historic house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a fine example of a grand Victorian house located at a prominent location in the Village of Millersburg. The house is constructed of local brick and sandstone with decorative wooden gables and bracketing. A round tower extends up the entire structure, and focuses onto Clinton and Clay Streets to the center of town and beyond. A slate roof with decorative crestwork caps the building. Fine quarter-sawn oak wood detailing is evident throughout the interior of the building. A grand wood staircase with a generous landing is appointed with a delicate wood lattice screen and four stained glass windows provides a strong architectural feature for the house.

After almost a century of life for the historic Cary House, the Education Foundation Board of Trustees committed to undergo a comprehensive historic preservation and renovation program to thoroughly rejuvenate the house and grounds.

A new glazed wintergarden structure anchors a new entry garden on the site, and houses an entrance that carefully addresses both handicapped and senior citizen accessibility requirements with an architecturally sensitive connection that compliments the early 20th Century brick and stone residence.

Furthering Educational Opportunities

The Mission of the Holmes County Education Foundation is to strengthen our community by helping Holmes County residents pursue further education opportunities.

Working toward this goal, the Holmes County Education Foundation strives to place education at the forefront by providing an open, community-oriented facility which will offer a variety of opportunities intended to foster further education by developing new programs and expanding existing ones.

Major Donors for the Cary House renovation

Charlotte R. Schmidlapp Fund
Fifth Third Bank, Trustee
Commercial & Savings Bank
First-Knox National Bank
FirstMerit Bank
Kenneth L. Calhoun Charitable Trust
Key Bank National Association, Trustee
Key Foundation
Killbuck Savings Bank
Ada C. and Helen J. Rank Charitable Trust
Key Bank National Association, Trustee
Anonymous

114 North Clay Street Millersburg, OH 44654 (330) 674-7303 Fax: (330) 674-7313 e-mail: info@hcef.net

home | about us | news & publications | scholarship & grant seekers | donate | cary house | links | contact us

"));